TITLE: Communications and Marketing Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: Thursday, December 15, 2016
CLOSE DATE: Friday, January 6, 2017
PREFERRED START DATE: Immediate
The Communications and Marketing Manager will coordinate all Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper external communications, including website, media interactions, and public relations activities to consistently articulate the organizational mission, accomplishments, and priorities. The Communications and Marketing Manager will work to ensure that Riverkeeper maintains the organization’s brand standards and follows branding guidelines.
The Manager will also ensure the organization continues to be viewed as the region’s leading and most trusted source of information related to water quality, Great Lakes, natural habitats, public access to water, and many other water-based issues of regional and national importance. The Communications and Marketing Manager will help build strong grassroots support, in part through management and generation of Riverkeeper’s aggressive social media activities, and awareness of our work and water issues, and will help advance strategic organizational priorities in support of marketing and fundraising efforts.
- Serve as the primary contact for local, state and national media and field all incoming media inquiries. Under the direction of the executive director, develop and manage press releases, media advisories, public statements, and release of public comments. Coordinate Riverkeeper media events in concert with staff and external partners.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the organization’s various projects in collaboration with the Advancement Director and Executive Management Team.
- Coordinate the creation and dissemination of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action.
- Engage directly with all staff and project managers to create a suite of marketing materials related to current or new organizational projects and initiatives.
- Write and disseminate monthly updates, including proactive planning with project managers to highlight time-sensitive projects, outreach endeavors, and impacts.
- Manage social media communication on Riverkeeper’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. Track and measure level of engagement, and seek ways to expand presence and impact.
- In collaboration with project managers on staff, oversee webpage maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information is posted regularly including article links, stories, upcoming events, and any required sponsorship promotion.
- Coordinate the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, e-newsletters, and posters.
- Manage all media contacts and maintain an up-to-date list of contact info at local television, radio, and print media outlets.
- Help coordinate logistics and outreach for any Riverkeeper public meetings.
- Collaborate with relevant staff and the Events Coordinator to help execute special events, as needed.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Board of Directors Marketing and Communications Sub-Committee. The committee is a “support and resource” committee that oversees and advises on marketing and public relations efforts to ensure consistency in messaging and branding across all delivery channels and mediums in support of Riverkeeper’s strategic goals.
- Internal: Effective reporting to the Executive Director, and collaboration with the Advancement Director, and other members of the Board of Directors and Executive Team.
- External: Effective communication with media, community groups, government officials, partners, collaborators, and others as required.
ENVIRONMENT AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The majority of the work time is conducted in an office or public meeting setting. Local travel is required, e.g., field work and events within the Niagara River Watershed or to Niagara Region community events. Some flexibility in schedule is required; occasional work in the evening and weekends for meeting or event participation will be needed.
- BA, BS, or better in marketing, communications, fundraising, public relations, or a related field.
- Minimum of two to four years of work experience in a comparable position.
- Experience with re-branding activities or brand marketing a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to relate effectively to a diverse group of individuals and organizations, including the ability to give effective public presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must be self-directed and able to work independently.
- Positive attitude and adaptability.
Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suites, including PhotoShop, InDesign, and Illustrator. MS Office (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint). Raisers Edge, Blackbaud, FoxPro, QuarkXPress, a plus.
Constant Contact, Flash, Dreamweaver, Search Optimization, Web Server Administration, Content Management Systems
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain a high energy level and be comfortable managing many multi-faceted tasks in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Regularly required to speak clearly, write effectively and act as an engaged listener in smaller meetings as well as large public forums.
Annual salary range is commensurate with experience, comparable market rates, and with flexibility in work schedule. Benefits include three weeks paid time off, 13 paid holidays, Group Basic Term Life, AD&D Insurance, a Health Reimbursement Account, 401K Retirement Plan option and parking, all pro-rated for start date and after a 3 month probationary period is completed.
METHODS OF APPLYING:
Apply by mailing or emailing a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, technical work example, writing sample, and references to:
Monica Lippens, Administration and Operations Assistant
Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper
721 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14203
Application Deadline: Friday, January 6, 2017
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!
Make sure you put the job title “Communications and Marketing Manager Application” in the subject line of your email or cover letter.