POSITION TITLE: Project Coordinator/Planner
DEPARTMENT: Ecological Programs
REPORTS TO: Program Director
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: Tuesday, February 21, 2017
CLOSE DATE: Tuesday, March 7, 2017, 5pm (EST)
PREFERRED START DATE: Immediate
Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper is seeking a full time project coordinator/planner to join the Ecological Programs team. The person will assist with planning and implementation of various grant projects and conservation initiatives within the Niagara River watershed. Examples of specific projects and initiatives include, but are not limited to, Niagara River habitat conservation planning and outreach, fish barrier removal/restorations, Buffalo and Niagara River Remedial Action Plan Coordination, and Scajaquada Creek planning and restoration. This position includes active participation in seeking, securing and implementing future grant funding for the organization.
Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper, 721 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14203
Buffalo Niagara RIVERKEEPER is a community-based organization dedicated to protecting the quality and quantity of water, while connecting people to water. We do this by cleaning up pollution from our waterways, restoring fish and wildlife habitat, and enhancing public access through greenways that expand parks and open space.
JOB SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Background in watershed planning and/or restoration science;
- Construction observation/oversight experience considered a plus;
- Knowledge of native plant communities and invasive species control and management techniques;
- Knowledge of sediment and erosion control techniques and best management practices;
- Knowledge of applicable laws, permits and guidelines;
- Must be highly organized, have strong interpersonal skill, be comfortable working in a nonprofit team environment, possess ability to problem solve;
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills;
- Grant writing experience a plus;
- Must be able to work with other members of Riverkeeper’s staff across disciplines to fulfill project goals and deliverables and to ensure cross-team collaboration on any given issue;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of partners including: funders, landowners, state, federal and local agencies, subcontractors and the public;
- Flexibility and adaptability are a must;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable automobile; and
- Dedication to watershed protection and environmental issues at-large.
- BA/BS required in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Natural Resource Management or Planning, Environmental Science, Biology, Ecology, or Landscape Architecture, or comparable.
- 1-3 years of work experience in applicable fields. Experience should directly relate to the position summary and skills and qualifications sections.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical/support services to multiple Riverkeeper teams in implementing the Niagara River habitat conservation planning and outreach, fish barrier removal/restorations, Buffalo and Niagara River Remedial Action Plan Coordination, and Scajaquada Creek planning and restoration;
- Assist in the coordination and outreach with multiple project and community partners;
- Facilitate meetings with project stakeholders on an as needed basis including meeting preparation and logistics, minute taking, and meeting breakdown;
- Maintain a highly organized profile in managing project data and in tracking Quality Assurance documents, maps and data;
- Assist with the development of GIS maps and organization of GIS-based data to support the organizational and project-related goals;
- Attend various stakeholder events and meetings within the Niagara River watershed as necessary to support the organizational/programmatic goals of Riverkeeper;
- Assist in the grant writing cycle as needed including grant seeking, researching, writing, coordination, organization, submission and implementation; and
- Assist with various Riverkeeper projects and initiatives as they may arise, and as deemed appropriate by the Director of Ecological Programs, or Executive Management Team.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Approximately one-third of the positions time will be spent in the field and two-thirds of the time in the office but this can vary seasonally based on project needs. Travel within the Niagara River watershed is required. Some weekend and evening work may be necessary but is generally limited.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must be capable of:
- Lifting a minimum of 50 lbs., conducting field work, carrying equipment, and completing other activities in difficult terrain during adverse weather conditions repeatedly;
- Maintaining a high engagement level; and
- Performing multi-faceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Annual salary range is $33,280 – $37,440. Benefits include flexible work schedule, three weeks paid time off, 13 paid holidays, Group Basic Term Life, AD&D Insurance, a Health Reimbursement Account, 401K Retirement Plan option and parking, all pro-rated for start date and after a 3 month probationary period is completed.
Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability or any other basis covered by law. Employment decisions are based solely on qualifications and business need.
METHODS OF APPLYING:
Apply by mailing or emailing a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, technical work example, writing sample, and references to:
Monica Lippens, Administration and Operations Assistant
Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper
721 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14203
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 7, 2017, 5pm (EST)
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!
Make sure you put the job title “Project Coordinator/Planner Application” in the subject line of your email or cover letter.
Click this link for a PDF of the Job Description: Project Planner Coordinator