2017 Spring Shoreline Sweep
April 22nd 10am-12pm
Each spring, Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper coordinates our Spring Shoreline Sweep, the largest single-day shoreline cleanup in Western New York. Targeting shoreline sites, hundreds of volunteers come out to engage in direct citizen action that makes our community a better place and reconnects the public with our region’s most valued asset — our water. Last April, over 1,500 volunteers signed up to help clean up shorelines in Niagara and Erie counties and collected over 11 tons of litter.
There will be a Volunteer Appreciation Party following the sweep from 12:30 – 2:30 PM! The party will be at Lakeward Spirits located at 65 Vandalia St. Buffalo, NY 14204. Prior registration is strongly encouraged and a link to register for the party will be in your site registration confirmation email.
Prior registration for the sweep is encouraged. Please use the map below to view cleanup locations.
Click on the Sweep sites below to register:
1. Amherst State Park SITE FULL
2. UB Bike Path SITE FULL
3. Ellicott Island Park SITE FULL
4. Bizer Creek SITE FULL
5. Black Rock Canal Park SITE FULL
6.Broderick Park SITE FULL
7. Cazenovia Park SITE FULL
8. Conway Park SITE FULL
9. Erie Basin Marina SITE FULL
10. Houghton Park SITE FULL
11. Hoyt Lake SITE FULL
21. Lasalle Park Buffalo SITE FULL
12. Scajaquada Creek (Niagara Street) SITE FULL
13. Scajaquada Creek (West Avenue) SITE FULL
14. Scajaquada Creek (Tops on Grant Street) SITE FULL
15. Scajaquada Creek (Wegmans on Amherst Street) SITE FULL
16. Seneca Bluffs SITE FULL
17. South Park SITE FULL
18. Tifft Nature Preserve SITE FULL
19. Times Beach SITE FULL
20. Unity Island SITE FULL
22. Cheektowaga Town Park SITE FULL
23. North Creek South Creek Drive Park SITE FULL
24. Cayuga Creek SITE FULL
25. Buckhorn State Park/Woods Creek Kayak Launch SITE FULL
26. Spicer Creek Wildlife Management Area SITE FULL
27. LaSalle Waterfront Park SITE FULL
28. North Tonawanda Audubon Nature Preserve
29. Chestnut Ridge County Park SITE FULL
30. Bond Lake Park SITE FULL
31. Niawanda Park SITE FULL
32. Ellicott Creek Park SITE FULL
33. Burchfield Nature and Art Center SITE FULL
34. Cazenovia Creek at Seneca & Ridge Rd. SITE FULL
35. Bergholtz Creek
Still want to offer support?
Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper is grateful for generous support from the following sponsors: Lakeward Spirits, Great Lakes Brewing Co., Labatt USA, Royal Bank of Canada, Key Bank, Dunn Tire, Ecology and Environment, inc., Corr Distributor, and Praxair
A special thank you to the Buffalo Sewer Authority for their ongoing partnership in our water quality educational and outreach campaigns.
The Monthly Waterway Cleanup Program
Our first year doing the Monthly Waterway Cleanups program was a great success! From May to October over 400 volunteers prevented 5 tons of litter from polluting our waterways. Thank you to the many volunteers who supported our efforts to protect our waters and donated their time!
IF / THEN UPDATE: thank you to everyone who pledged to support Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper through our If / Then campaign! We are excited to announce that our October Cleanup event was a huge success – we removed 1,900 pounds of litter, with the help of 131 volunteers. Thank you for supporting our efforts!
Cleanup Site Feedback Opportunity: Do you have ideas for other locations that need a cleanup? To contact us about a site that would benefit from a cleanup effort, please follow this LINK.
If you have any questions, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions page first. If you still need assistance, please contact Wendy Paterson, Community Liaison, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 716-852-7483 ext. 26.